Leading Tools and Techniques to Avoid State Income Tax on Non-Grantor Trusts after Kaestner and Fielding
In their exclusive LISI Webinar, Ed Morrow Jonathan Blattmachr and Martin Shenkman review a number of the leading tools and techniques that advisors can use to avoid state income tax of non-grantor trusts, particularly in the aftermath of the Kaestner and Fielding decisions. Among the many topics they will discuss are the following:
- ?When does the most obvious solution of choosing trustees and situs of administration to a more favorable state work? When doesn’t it? When might it? Categorizing the states.
- Kaestner, Fielding and the case law trend of enforcing Constitutional limitations on states to tax trusts – over what factors will the next battle be fought?
- Hidden issues – when does the situs of trust protectors, distribution trustees/committees or investment trustees matter and how to avoid the issue?
- Solutions used by some to avoid founder state statutes that probably don’t work
- SLANTs and SALTy-SLATs – how can SLATs become non-grantor trusts?
- Avoiding the Peppercorn of Source Income Problem and its likely importance beyond NY/NJ/ND, to other states grasping for nexus
- Cleansing the Source Income Taint – Use of “Blocker” or “Mother/Daughter” trusts to parse income
- Using beneficiary deemed owner trust (BDOT) provisions (or even QSSTs) to selectively shift source income to a beneficiary
- Paying attention to source income differences of stock v. asset sales, S Corp v. partnership
- Using INGs in conjunction with BDOTs/SLANTs – the best of all worlds?
- S Corps and ESBTs – trapping the desired income in trust – why the partial BDOT rather than blocker/mother-daughter trust technique is preferred where source income may be present
- Remembering state tax issues during the 2020 rush to use exclusion amounts – when may a conversion from our usual default of using a grantor trust to using a non-grantor trust make sense?
There will be no CE for this webinar
For those who have a conflict with the date/time, The session will be recorded. Simply register and you will have unlimited access to the recording.
Although they are scheduled for a particular time and date - once purchased - they can be viewed at ANY TIME!.
If you are not a LISI member please use the Buy Now Button below to pay the non-member price of $149*. *plus applicable sales tax (if any)
After you pay you will be sent a link with the registration information. Your webinar registration is designed for one individual user and groups up to 5 individuals. Sharing beyond this is not permitted. If you are interested in group access to our webinar content, please send an email to email@example.com
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: To pay using a credit card, use the botton labeled
"Pay with Debit or Credit Card" after clicking the Buy Now button below.
If you are a LISI member, please login below to receive the member price of $129* for this webinar. *plus applicable sales tax (if any)