Natalie Choate & Denise Appleby on Notices 2020-50 and -51: New Guidance Expands Eligibility for CARES Act Non-RMD Rollovers and Coronavirus-Related Distributions: Clients Must Take Action by August 31, 2020, To Avoid Unnecessary Taxes!
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, include two significant financial relief provisions for retirement account owners and beneficiaries:
- Waiver of required minimum distributions (RMDs) for 2020 RMDs and permitted rollover of these amounts, and
- Penalty free coronavirus-related distributions (CRDs) by qualified individuals, of up to $100,000 per person.
By March 27, 2020 when the Act was signed into law, many account owners of RMD age and beneficiaries had already taken distributions that they though were RMDs- but were unable to use the CARES Act non-RMD rollover provision because of limitations under the Tax Code. In addition, it was unclear if taxpayers who were indirectly affected by COVID-19 qualified for CRDs.
The IRS recently issued guidance on the application of these provisions, which, in general, expanded eligibility to allow more taxpayers to benefit. This guidance is provided under:
- Notice 2020–51: Guidance on Waiver of 2020 Required Minimum Distributions, and
- Notice 2020–50: Guidance for Coronavirus-Related Distributions and Loans from Retirement Plans Under the CARES Act.
Both of these include some welcome surprises that every practitioner who advises clients about these provisions should know.
Join Natalie Choate and Denise Appleby as they explain the key provisions covered in these two Notices, and how you can use them to help your clients. Topics that will be covered include:
- The August 31 deadline for rollovers of certain RMDs
- How the IRS permits rollovers of RMDs that were otherwise never permitted—but ONLY if completed by August 31, 2020!
- How to identify clients who may still qualify for rollovers beyond August 31, 2020, through the CRD provision
- Possible solutions for non-RMD/non-CRD amounts
- Who is eligible for a CRD?
- The tax benefits of a CRD
- Rollover rules for CRDs
There will be no CE for this webinar
For those who have a conflict with the date/time, The session will be recorded. Simply register and you will have unlimited access to the recording.
Although they are scheduled for a particular time and date - once purchased - they can be viewed at ANY TIME!.
If you are not a LISI member please use the Buy Now Button below to pay the non-member price of $149.
After you pay you will be sent a link with the registration information. Your webinar registration is designed for one individual user and groups up to 5 individuals. Sharing beyond this is not permitted. If you are interested in group access to our webinar content, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
NOTE: To pay using a credit card, use the botton labeled
"Pay with Debit or Credit Card" after clicking the Buy Now button below.
If you are a LISI member, please login below to receive the member price of $129 for this webinar.