Life After Wayfair: Multi-State Tax Problems for Everyone
The U.S. Supreme Court’s 2018 decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair radically changed how state sales and use taxes work in this country. For decades, the rule was that a business without a physical presence in a state could not be forced by that state to collect tax on sales to state residents. This was the “bright line” test created by the Supreme Court’s 1992 decision in Quill Corp. v. North Dakota.
The Wayfair decision did away with the bright-line test created by Quill. The “safe harbor” provided by not having physical presence in a state no longer exists. Now, every business that sells products online has a potential sales and use tax liability in every state they deliver products into. This is true even if the business does not have a physical presence in those states.
- How did we get here? The law before Wayfair and why it changed;
- How states have been addressing their options after Wayfair;
- How businesses can “triage” their potential exposure and put together a compliance plan;
- The weird world of “nexus” that was unleashed by Wayfair and what it means for different types of businesses;
- This includes marketplace nexus (and Amazon’s latest legal battles), tail nexus, the limits of due process, and arguments we can expect to see emerge over the next few years.
There will be no CE for this webinar
For those who have a conflict with the date/time, The session will be recorded. Simply register and you will have unlimited access to the recording.
Although they are scheduled for a particular time and date - once purchased - they can be viewed at ANY TIME!.
If you are not a LISI member please use the Buy Now Button below to pay the non-member price of $149*. *plus applicable sales tax (if any)
After you pay you will be sent a link with the registration information. Your webinar registration is designed for one individual user and groups up to 5 individuals. Sharing beyond this is not permitted. If you are interested in group access to our webinar content, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
NOTE: To pay using a credit card, use the botton labeled
"Pay with Debit or Credit Card" after clicking the Buy Now button below.
If you are a LISI member, please login below to receive the member price of $129* for this webinar. *plus applicable sales tax (if any)